Chicken and Broccoli Cabbage Wraps
These little gems are so delicious, light and refreshing. I love finding ways to add more cruciferous vegetable into my diet as they are amazing detoxifiers! Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts are some of the amazing vegetables from this family. They all provide a compound called sulforaphane, which offers a potent antioxidant activity that is anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer, helping to rid the body of harmful toxins.
This recipe is bursting with beneficial nutrients and is easy and quick to make. It's also a great recipe to make ahead of time, you can make the chicken and broccoli mixture up in advance then store it in the fridge for 2-3 days until you are ready to use it. It's also gluten and dairy free, win!
Depending on your appetite you could get between 2-4 meals out of this recipe.
• 1 head of broccoli
• Large handful of spinach
• 1 onion
• 4 garlic cloves
• 4-6 purple cabbage leaves
• 1 avocado
• 3 chicken breasts
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
• Salt and pepper to taste
Tahini Dressing (optional)
• 1 tablespoon tahini
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 juicy lemon
• 1-2 tablespoons of water (I like my dressing thicker, add more water for a thinner consistency)
• Salt and pepper
1. Roughly chop broccoli florests. Add florets into a food processor, and process until it turns into a rice-like consistency, set to one side. (If you don't have a food processor thinly slice and chop the broccoli).
2. Peel and chop onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
3. Thinly slice chicken breasts. Add chicken to the pan with salt and pepper and cook until it is no longer pink, for about 4-7 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small chunks and mix together with the onions.
4. While the meat and onions cook mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl (if you choose to use it).
5. When the chicken is almost finished cooking add the broccoli, spinach, turmeric and chilli to the pan. Continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together.
6. Slice and chop up avocado into small cubes.
7. Arrange your cabbage leaves on a plate and spoon in the chicken mixture into each cabbage cup. Top with avocado and a drizzle of the tahini dressing.