Did someone say haloumi? Yes, I sure did... I haven't posted a recipe containing dairy yet, as I'm dairy free (minus the odd ice-cream treat ... #guilty! It's my weakness). Anywho, I thought it was time to create something different for you guys so I created this delicious red rice, avocado and haloumi salad. I'm not completely against dairy, some people tolerate it well, others don't, it really comes down to the individual. I personally do not tolerate it well which is why I never post any recipes containing dairy. I took dairy out of my diet 8+ years ago, but on the odd occasion I can enjoy small amounts of it.
This nutritious salad can be paired nicely with a protein source to make it a well balanced meal. I like to enjoy it with salmon or roast chicken.
- 1 cup red rice
- 300g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 large avocado, sliced up
- 180g haloumi, sliced
- 1 handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp raw honey
1. Cook the rice as per instructions. Once cooked, strain and set to the side to cool slightly.
2. Melt coconut oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add haloumi slices to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until brown. Set aside.
3. To make the dressing add all ingredients into a jar and mix together until well combined.
4. On a large serving platter or individual plates add the rice, then arrange the tomato, avocado, haloumi and coriander on top. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper.
To serve: enjoy with your choice of protein to make it a complete balanced meal.
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©