When I don’t know what to make for dinner or if I don’t have many ingredients in the house my go-to is often a big delicious salad bowl. They are simple, convenient, nourishing and yummy! It may look like it took a while to prepare but it took me 15 minutes all up! 20 if I’m moving slowly.
All you need is a few basic ingredients and you’re good to go! This contains a few staple ingredients I always home in my home. Top it off with my favourite tahini dressing and you’ve got yourself an easy, yummy, light lunch or dinner! Next time you’re short on time and don’t know what to make give this a shot! It’s simple vegan food at its finest.
- 3 cups kale, stems removed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1x 400g can chickpeas
- 1/2 head broccoli florets, chopped
- Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Cook quinoa as per instructions.
2. Add all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or cup and mix together until well combined.
3. While quinoa is cooking, fill up your kettle up with water and turn it on. Heat 2 small saucepans on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to each saucepan.
4. In one saucepan add the broccoli florets with a splash of water, and pour the chickpeas into the other saucepan. Cook the broccoli for 4-5 minutes until firm (but not soft, you still want them a little crunchy). Cook the chickpeas for 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly to cook through on all sides. Set broccoli and chickpeas to one side.
5. Rinse the kale under water then tear the it into small pieces and put them into a sieve. Pour boiling water over the kale. (This is a quick and easy way to soften tough kale leaves).
6. Assemble the bowl: Split the kale into two, add kale into two large shallow bowls. The add 1/2 of the cooked quinoa into each bowl, and half the broccoli and chickpeas into the bowl.
7. Drizzle with tahini dressing. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©
Share this with your friends ...
You might also like ...