Continuing on from last week’s post about ways to love your liver, I thought I would share with you some foods that you can incorporate into your diet every day to love your liver a little bit more.
As I mentioned last week the liver is our body’s main detoxifying organ, it has to process everything we put into and onto our bodies. It’s vital we take good care of this organ if you want to look and feel your absolute best.
Here are some foods that can help cleanse the liver naturally:
Leafy greens – rocket, arugula, spinach, silverbeat, dandelion, wheat grass.
- These foods are extremely high in chlorophyll, greens suck up environmental toxins from the blood to help with blood purification.
- Incorporate 1-2 handfuls of leafy green into your diet daily. More if you can for further health benefits! They can be eaten raw, cooked, juiced, blended into smoothies.
Brassica/cruciferous veggies – broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, bok choy.
- These foods increase the amount of glucosinolate in our system, which add to enzyme production in the liver. These natural enzymes help balance hormones, including excess oestrogen and help flush other toxins and carcinogens in the body.
- Incorporate at least one serving of these foods into your diet daily.
Carrots & beetroot
- Both high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene which can help stimulate and improve overall liver function.
- Chop them up raw and enjoy them as a stack between meals.
Lemons, limes & grapefruit
- These sour foods trigger nerve and hormone activation to the liver and digestion system. These foods are also high in vitamin C, which also boosts the production of liver detoxification enzymes.
- Enjoy the juice from half a lemon or lime in a glass of warm water upon waking.
- Green tea in full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known to assist liver function.
- Enjoy 1-2 cups per day, or swap out a morning coffee for a green tea.
Onion, garlic, leeks
- These foods contain sulfur compounds that can help activate enzymes in the liver which help your body flush out toxins.
- Chop them up and add them into a stir fry, or roast them in the oven.
Green smoothies and veggie juices
- Easy and simple way to add handfuls of leafy greens and other veggies into your diet. More greens can be consumed in liquid form. They are a convenient option for people who don’t have much time to prepare meals.
- Try my detox green smoothie, you could whip it up in the morning to enjoy as breakfast or take it with you to have later in the day for an afternoon snack.