This is such a warming, comforting and nourishing dish. It's perfect for chilly winter evenings, or any evening really. I actually make this soup all year round as my partner loves it, and it's perfect on nights when you feel like something easy and light.
This soup is gluten and dairy free, it's a great vegetarian option as well if you feel like a meat free meal. By using coconut cream and chickpeas it ensures you get your essential fatty acids and some protein into each mouthful. It also contains some great spices to help aid digestion.
This is quite a large portion, I normally get 4-5 meals out of it as I like to enjoy it the following day for lunch, however you can easily half the ingredients. I also enjoy making a large batch as I often freeze it, so when I want a break from cooking I can easily grab a portion or two out from the freezer pot it on the stove for a quick easy meal.
• 1 brown onion, chopped
• 6-8 garlic cloves, chopped
• 5 cups pumpkin, chopped in 2" cubes
• 1 knob ginger, grated or finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 can coconut cream
• 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (homemade is always best if you can)
• 2 tablespoons hot curry powder
• 1 tablespoon turmeric
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1-2 teaspoons chili flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Coriander and olive oil to garnish
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot (or large saucepan) over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
2. Add all spices, stir and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add pumpkin and coat in spices, onion and garlic mixture.
3. Add coconut cream, chickpeas (including brine) and stock. Give it all a stir then let it sit on medium heat for 35-40 minutes. Checking every 10-15 minutes and giving it a stir.
4. With a hand blender (alternative add soup in portions into a blender) and whizz until all combined into a thick soup.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Pour servings in bowls, top with chopped coriander and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©