To my gorgeous followers.... you need these coconut fat balls in your life! Why.... because they are LOADED with healthy fats. Healthy fats are essential to a well-balanced diet. Too often in clinic I see clients who aren't consuming enough healthy fats for optimal health. These coconut fat balls make the perfect snack, and are an easy and delicious way to bump up the healthy fat content in your diet.
3 reasons why healthy fats are essential for optimal health:
1. Fats help us digest fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K and keep our brains, cells, hormones, tissues, hair, skin, and nails healthy.
2. Fat provides the structural component to many cell membranes which are essential for cellular development and carrying various messages (hormones) through our body quickly.
3. Fats can help prevent sugar cravings. The satiety receptors in the brain for fats work faster than sugar, so after consuming fats we feel full and satisfied more quickly and remain that way for longer (hello stable blood sugar levels)!
- 1 cup shredded coconut (+ 1/3 cup for rolling)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (pumpkin or sunflower)
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup almond milk
1. Add nuts and seeds into a food processor and process until it forms a flour like consistency (leave a few chunks if you prefer more crunch).
2. Add all the remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until you get a dough-like consistency.
3. Roll the dough into bite-sized balls, and roll those into the rest of your shredded coconut.
For a nut free version swap nuts with seeds.
You can store these balls in a container in the freezer or in the fridge. I like them in the freezer and then take 1-2 balls out and let them thaw for a couple of minutes before consuming! YUM!
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©