10 Healthy Snack Ideas That Hit The Spot
One thing I hear from new clients is that they always struggle with healthy snack ideas or don’t have the willpower to say no to work treats. They have a tendency to put their hand into their works lollie jar or cookie jar instead. So, while I work with them on how to over come that and break their habit along with giving them some healthier snack ideas I thought it was only fair to share some of these snack ideas with you too.
Before becoming a Registered Clinical Nutritionist I worked in the corporate world for 4 years (in digital marketing), so I know how challenging it is to work in an office with temptations all around you, constant birthday morning tea’s or afternoon tea’s, department celebrations or meeting with lunch/nibbles being shouted, free snack cupboard, colleagues who constantly bring in delicious gluten, dairy and sugar filled baking or Friday night drinks and snacks. I get it, it’s a challenge. Willpower or saying no doesn’t just happen overnight but it is possible, because if I can do, so can you!
Willpower (or a mindset shift) will come when you start to make your health a priority, when you start to eat a balanced diet that balances blood sugar as this helps to reduce cravings, when you start to reduce stress so the need to “stress eat” declines, when you start practicing self-love and stop eating to fill an emotional gap, when you become more mindful and in tune with how your body and hunger is feeling.
Any who, I digress. Today I’ve decided to share with you 10 healthy nutritionist-approved snack ideas that hit the spot for when you’re feeling peekish but want to keep your health in check.
2. Nori wraps – an extremely nutritious and a fantastic way to bump up your daily iodine intake which is important to support thyroid health (which helps to support hormonal health, energy and weight management).
4. Homemade paleo protein bar – delicious and nutritious and only takes 5 minutes to whip up.
5. Green smoothie – filled with spinach, fruit, 1 tbsp nut butter or coconut oil, water/milk of choice and protein powder.
6. 1-2 boiled eggs – you could boil up 6-8 eggs in the weekend and grab one or two to enjoy as a snack or tossed through a lunch meal.
7. A handful of nuts – another simple nutritious snack you can whip up in a matter of minutes.
8. An apple smeared with either tahini, almond/peanut butter – may sound strange but this one is a goodie, trust me!
9. Greek or coconut yoghurt topped with a handful of berries and a sprinkle of chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and cinnamon – a delicious and refreshing snack that can easily be whipped up in 2-3 minutes.
10. Coconut banana bread toasted and topped with peanut butter – because what’s life without a little bit of banana bread. This bread takes less than 10 minutes to make, it toasts well and also stores well in the freezer.
Hi I’m Natalie, a Registered Clinical Nutritionist, health influencer, blog writer & recipe creator. My own health complications prompted me to make positive diet & lifestyle changes, revitalize my health leading to a career change from the corporate world to nutritional medicine. I believe in a wholefoods approach to good health, focusing on simple strategies for modern, busy people.