This easy, amazingly delicious recipe is fun and healthy. It's the perfect way to jazz up your mid-morning or afternoon snack. All you need is an apple, tahini (or nut butter), cinnamon and if you're feeling extra fancy some rawnola.
As a wholesome snack, it's a fun way to get kids to eat fruit, with the added benefits of healthy fats. It's also a great pre-workout snack!
Health benefits of apples
- Nutrient rich, they are packed full of important nutrients such as vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, dietary fiber and minerals, such as calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- They are a great source of dietary fiber, helping to aid digestion, promote good bowl health and help lower cholesterol.
- The phytonutrients in apples help to regulate blood sugar levels, preventing spikes and therefore energy lows, while also keeping you fuller for longer (especially when paired with healthy fats such as tahini).
- They can help strengthen your immune system with their vitamin C content. Red apples contain the antioxidant 'quercetin', which can assist in strengthening your immune system when under stress.
- High in antioxidants, which helps to prevent and repair damage to cell throughout our bodies.
- Wanting to shed some kilos? Apples are low in calories, fat, sodium and are high in fiber. Fiber helps to keep you fuller for longer, low-sodium foods prevent water retention and excess water weight - perfect for weight loss!
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or nut butter)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons rawnola (optional)
1. Slice apple into 1/2 inch rounds, then cut out the core.
2. Spread the tahini evenly across the slices, then sprinkle the pinch of cinnamon and rawnola ontop for an extra crunch.
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©