I'm currently going through a buckwheat obsession phase. Over the summer this blueberry and buckwheat porridge has been one of the favourite breakfasts, it's so easy to make and tastes delicious.
Buckwheat is actually a seed, which is gluten free, low GI and is great for cleansing the intestines! Buckwheat groats are an amazing superfood, they are really nourishing to our nervous system, as they contain a range of B vitamin’s which is crucial for nerve function, as well as the amino acid tryptophan, which helps to make serotonin, the FEEL GOOD hormone. Buckwheat has a light nutty flavour, it's high in amino acids, fiber and essential minerals manganese, magnesium, zinc and copper. It’s also rich in anti-oxidants and is anti-inflammatory.
You only need a few minutes to whip up this breakfast. It’s really light and nourishing. You can make this up at night (by mixing all ingredients together) and leave it in the fridge if you have a busy morning the following day. Just pop it in a glass sealable container, this ensures you will have a healthy delicious breakfast to grab-and-go in the morning which will fill your body with nutrients and keep you energized.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (soaked in 1 cup water overnight)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup rice milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw honey/maple syrup OR 1 tbsp strawberry/vanilla pea protein (optional)
- Optional toppings: tahini, drizzle raw honey, chopped fruit, coconut chips, cranberries
1. Place buckwheat in a bowl of water, leave overnight in the fridge to soak. After soaking rinse well in a strainer.
2. In a nutribullet or food processor place buckwheat, blueberries, milk, seeds, cinnam on and sweeter (if using). Process until combined, but not smooth (I like mine a little chunky).
3. Scoop into bowls or glasses, add your desired topping (tahini, coconut and cranberries are my fav!). Serve immediately and enjoy!