Family friendly, easy, nutritious and delicious! This slow cooker Mexican Quinoa Bowl is the perfect meal to make any night of the week. It’s bursting with fresh, delicious and healthy ingredients.
All you have to do is prep all the ingredients, throw them in a slow cooker, then walk away! It’s that simple! If you’ve seen my other recipes you may realize that I’m all about simple, easy and quick meals that are super healthy and nutritious.
I recently bought a new slow cooker, which I’m SO excited! No idea why I didn’t get one sooner. They are the best! So easy to use, you can pretty much throw anything you like in them, turn them on and walk away. When you return later in the day your house will feel so warm and smell absolutely divine, what’s not to love! I can’t wait to come up with more delicious slow cooker meals to share with you guys!
This dish is great on its own in a bowl topped with fresh avocado or guacamole or you can easily enjoy it in corn taco or on top of corn chips. Get creative with what you fancy. I love it just as it is with freshly chopped avo! It makes quite a large portion so you’ll easily be able to feed 5-6 people or more if you’re serving it to little ones.
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 2 courgettes, chopped thinly
- 1 cup corn (frozen or 1 corn cob)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peel and chopped
- 2x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional extras: 1 avocado or make a guacamole
1. Spray slow cooker with olive oil, or grease with coconut oil.
2. Once you’ve prepped all ingredients (as above) add all ingredients into the slow cooker pot. Stir all ingredients together until well combined.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3-4 hours) until the quinoa is cooked.
4. Remove lid and stir everything together again. Season with any additional spices or salt and pepper if desired.
5. Grab a ladle spoon and serve food into bowls. Top with fresh avocado, guacamole or enjoy in a taco.
Recipe by Natalie Brady, from Natalie Brady Nutrition ©