This is an adapted recipe from one that was given to me and my classmates during one of our cooking weekends while studying. Our teachers assured us there was no other bread recipe that could be easier and tastier to make, and they were absolutely right. It literally takes no time to make and tastes delicious, especially topped with avocado, poached eggs or my favourite homemade pesto. It's the perfect alternative to store bought breads and you can alter the flours to rye, buckwheat or other whole grains.
This recipe uses spelt flour which is an ancient grain, with a nutty and sweet flavour. Compared to wheat flour, spelt is richly supplied with nutrients and is higher in protein, minerals and fiber. Spelt flour does contain gluten however those with gluten sensitivity (even celiacs) can usually tolerate it. Spelt is a highly water-soluble fiber, so nutrients are easily absorbed by the body making it easier to digest.
This bread has become a staple in my home, I always make a couple loaves, slice them up and then freeze them. This makes sure I always have a healthy nourishing bread option on hand when needed.
• 3 & 1/2 cups white spelt flour
• 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
• 1 large cup chopped mixed herbs in season
• 1 cup roughly chopped seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, linseeds)
• 1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
• 2 heaped teaspoons himalayan or sea salt
• 500 mls milk alternative with a tablespoon of lemon juice (rice, almond, oat milk)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220◦
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper
3. Place all the dry ingredients (including seeds) into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre
4. Add the herbs and stir through the dry ingredients
5. Mix the milk and lemon juice together. Pour the mixture to the dry ingredients and gently mix until you have a loose dough rather like a scone mixture
6. Divide the dough in two and form each into a cob shape using extra flour to stop the dough from sticking, and place the two loaves onto the tray
7. Use a knife to score a cross on the top of each load and place straight into the hot oven
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the bread is golden and makes a hollow sound when you tap its base. Remove from the oven and wrap each loaf in a clean linen tea towel until it cools. This helps to retain a crunchy crust. Allow to cool an enjoy.