It was my birthday yesterday so I decided to make a delicious healthy carrot cake to enjoy with friends and family. I'm not a huge cake lover but on birthday's it only seem appropriate! This cake is a delicious healthy alternative to the usual sugar rich carrot cakes, it's dairy free and refined sugar free. I hope you love it as much as I did!
- 1/3 cup oil olive (or butter)
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Coconut Yoghurt Icing
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown rice syrup)
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together oil, rice malt, eggs, vanilla extract, spices, baking soda and baking powder until well combined.
3. The add in spelt flour, carrots, raisins and coconut to the mixture. Mix together until well combined.
4. Pour mixture into loaf tin and pop it into the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 10-15 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the icing mix together the coconut yoghurt and maple syrup in a small bowl. Spread this onto of the cake (once it's cooled completely). Slice up and enjoy immediately!
Nat x x