Who doesn’t love a quick, easy and healthy meal! This nutrient rich chickpea and broccoli salad is bursting with goodness. It’s a fantastic way to get some additional greens into your diet from the lettuce, broccoli and parsley.
This salad is the ideal dish to make when you feel like a light dinner or if your strapped for time, but still want to nourish your body. The dressing is the star of this dish, in particular the parsley.
Parsley is one of my favourite herbs. Did you know parsley has the highest vitamin C levels of any herb and contains beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A for repairing and renewing skin cells. Parsley also contains chlorophyll and vitamin K which may also help reduce puffiness in the face and help to erase dark under-eye circles. I love finding different ways to add this herb into my diet, so far my favourite is definitely in a homemade dressing.
This recipe makes enough for 2 servings as a light meal, or you can add it alongside a main dish if you're feeling hungry. I always like to double the recipe so I can enjoy it the following day alongside some additional protein. It’s a fantastic cheap, quick, nourishing and easy meal that’ll fuel your body with a variety of nutrients.
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head of fancy lettuce or any leafy greens, rinsed and chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, pealed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dejon mustard
- Pinch of sea or himalayan salt
- 1-2 tablespoons water (if you like a thinner consistency)
1. Heat a fry pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. Add chopped broccoli florets and lightly saute for 5 minutes, stirring every 30-60 seconds.
2. After 5 minutes add chickpeas and saute for a further 3-4 minutes until chickpeas are warmed.
3. While the broccoli is cooking, add all dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and process until well combined.
4. Add lettuce into two bowls, then arrange the chickpeas, broccoli and sliced onions ontop. Drizzle salads with the dressing then sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy straight away or pack up into glass containers and refrigerate for later.