This is such a wonderful simple grain-free dish you can whip up any night of the week. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and cook (as long as you have your food processor sitting on the bench ready to go!).
I absolutely love cauliflower rice, it may not taste exactly like rice, but it’s pretty dam close. It’s a fantastic way to add more cruciferous vegetable into your diet. Cruciferous vegetables are amazing detoxifiers, they provide a compound called sulforaphane, which offers a potent antioxidant activity that is anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer, helping to rid the body of harmful toxins.
Cauliflower is extremely nutritious, most of the cauliflower’s nutrients are available when we consume it raw or lightly cooked, because heat destroys nutrients like vitamin C, for instance. To obtain its nutrients you simply have to cook it for five minutes on low heat, this is a safe and recommended method which preserves most of the nutrients. Cooking it lightly is also a good method to maintain a crispy texture.
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time, you can prepare all the ingredients in advance then store it in the fridge in air tight containers for 2-3 days until you are ready to use them. It's also gluten, grain, dairy free, is paleo and vegan friendly, win!
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pinch himalayan or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Juice from ½ fresh lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Place cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until it's broken down into rice-sizes pieces.
2. Melt coconut oil in a medium size fry pan over medium-low heat. Place cauliflower rice into pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Once lightly cooked add cauliflower into a mixing bowl, then add remaining ingredients (except for olive oil and lemon). Toss ingredients together.
4. Drizzle salad with olive oil and lemon juice. Serve immediately or store in fridge to enjoy later.