Who doesn’t love banana chocolate chip muffins! This recipe is not only insanely easy to make, it’s also dairy free, refined sugar free and is vegan friendly. I love making a big batch on Sunday afternoons to enjoy as snack throughout the week. You can literally whip them up in 10 minutes, then pop them into the oven to cook away.
This recipe uses spelt flour which is an ancient grain, with a nutty and sweet flavour. Compared to wheat flour, spelt is richly supplied with nutrients and is higher in protein, minerals and fiber. Spelt flour does contain gluten however those with gluten sensitivity (even celiacs) can usually tolerate it. Spelt is a highly water-soluble fiber, so nutrients are easily absorbed by the body making it easier to digest.
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour, or flour of choice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 small or 3 large bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup or so chocolate chips (I broke up pieces of 70% lindt chocolate)
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium/large size bowl and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix oil and vanilla. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix briefly, set aside.
3. Mash bananas, you should have approx. 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups, add to batter and mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips and mix briefly.
4. Spoon into a well-greased or paper lined muffin tin, fill each muffin about 2/3 – 3/4 full. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes. You can also do the toothpick test in the center of one muffin, if it comes out clean it’s ready. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 min.
Share this with your friends ...
You might also like ...